Living in Arizona prevents me from really experiencing Spring the way nature intended. We do not get to watch the snow and ice melt away, only to have the buds of green appear.
We basically go from coldish to warmish. Period. Spring. However, having lived in Boston, I really can appreciate the expression “Spring fever.” The process of defrosting and having the warm sun reappear.
Regardless of our lack of Spring in Arizona, I still love the season, filled with hope, renewal, restoration, and the promise of things to come. So without further ado , here are my Favorite (Spring) Things for Friday…
1. “The birds and the bees and the flowers in the trees…” It’s a little corny, but I enjoy hearing the annoyingly happy tweeting birdies outside my bedroom window each morning. I love glancing around and seeing things come to life. We don’t have an abundance of flowers growing in Arizona, but we do have an orange and yellow wildflower that blooms each spring. It cascades over front yards, on sidewalk cracks, and where ever else it can take root, leaving behind a beautiful display of sunny colors.
2. New wardrobe. Much of the U.S. dedicates their wardrobe to fall and winter clothes, but not us Arizonians. It is hot here more often that it is cold and so we are blessed to wear shorts, flip-flops, and tank tops a majority of the year.
3. Spring cleaning. I just discovered the greatness of spring cleaning a couple of years ago. While I do not like cleaning (and I mean, at all), having your home purged of needless items and then whipped back into shape, leaving it spic ‘n span is a glorious feeling.
4. Warmer weather. This should be a given. I open up the doors and windows in my house and let the beautiful weather pour in. My kids venture outside into the backyard, only to reemerge at lunch time. They then disappear again, spending hours rolling in the grass, chasing lizards, and “exploring” the backyard.
5. Fashion magazines. I’m a bit of a fashion mag junkie and spring is ripe with fashion. I love to pick up a stack of magazines and pour over them, drooling over each beautiful garment that I will inevitably never be able to buy.
6. Easter. Before becoming a Christian, Easter was a fun “holiday” filled with chocolate bunnies, baskets, and a church service. Now, however, the Easter celebration of my Savior’s Resurrection fills me with eternal hope and unsurpassed joy. I simply love celebrating Easter now because I understand (as much as a human, finite mind can) the depth and the weight of the Resurrection and not only what it means for me, but for the whole of humanity.
Plus, watching my kids all dressed up and running around a yard desperately searching for plastic, goody-filled eggs, is pretty hilarious too.
What is your favorite thing about Spring? Anything you look forward to each year? How do you celebrate Easter?
post image here